MR. JOHN LLOYDE
During his brief residence in Pinnaroo the late Mr. John Lloyde became well known to local people. In the course of his daily walks in the town he often made conversation with residents and would discuss everyday happenings. His friendly manner and experience and knowledge of events in the State’s early history were always interesting to the listener. Incidents which occurred during his life were often related by the deceased, and his comparisons with present-day methods of living and working conditions proved most enlightening. Regret was generally expressed at his sudden passing in Pinnaroo on April 21 at the age of 81 years.
The late Mr. Lloyde was born at Hill River on June 13, 1860. He commenced his schooling under the tutorship of Mrs. Morgan before the days of free education, and later when the latter system was introduced, he attended Mintaro public school in charge of Mr. James Fry. Leaving school at an early age the deceased commenced learning the saddlery trade but his ambitions were in the direction of farming. He left the saddlery trade and worked for Mrs. C. Holder at Gum Creek where he spent several years. The deceased afterwards worked for Mr. G. Lee, at Farrell’s Flat, carting chaff for his employer to Burra. He was still a young man when he accepted work on the property of Messrs Tickle and Treligan (sic), driving teams and ploughing with a single-furrow plough. The late Mr. Lloyde worked in the smelters in Adelaide for a time and also at Broken Hill. He left Broken Hill due to ill-health and returned to Mintaro where he assisted his father in contract road work.
In 1890 he married Sarah Helena Pearce, daughter of Mr. James Pearce, of Yatina. With his team he carted flour from the Mintaro flour mill to Auburn and afterwards secured a contract for carting flagstone from Mintaro quarry to the railway station. He spent several years in this occupation, at the same time sharefarming on Martindale property, being fully and actively occupied. He purchased a house and eight acres of land for £60, The deceased began farming operations on his own account at Yongala Vale. When the Yongala Estate was surveyed he applied for a block of land and was fortunate enough to secure same. The late Mr. Lloyde made Yongala Vale his home for 39 years, tilling the land until ill-health forced him to retire.
He then joined members of his family at Pinnaroo in September. 1941 where he resided until his death. The deceased was a keen follower of his church. He was a member of the Wesleyan Chapel and attended the Wesleyan School in his younger days. After transferring to Yongala he attended services held in the old station woolshed cottage until the Canowie Belt Baptist Church was built. He was elected one of the first trustees of the Baptist Church of which he remained a member until leaving for Pinnaroo. At Pinnaroo he joined the Methodist congregation and was a regular attendant at services . Accompanied by his wife, the deceased attended the Anzac Service held in the Pinnaroo Institute just recently and joined in the singing with heart and voice. In 1940 the late Mr. Lloyde and Mrs. Lloyde celebrated their Golden Wedding in the Pinnaroo Methodist Church.
The deceased is survived by his wife, four daughters, Mrs, R. E. Schiller, Mrs. F. N. Hunt, Mrs. C. Davies, Miss W. Lloyde, and five sons, Messrs G., B. J., C. H., W. A., and C. J. Lloyde.