MISS MARGARET LYNCH, HAWKER.
The quiet passing of Margaret Lynch on Sunday afternoon, January 12, at the old home near Hawker, where she had lived almost continuously since September, 1881, brings long, long thoughts.
Brought up amongst the good old pioneers, her courage and steadiness and Christian common sense were an inspiration to all.
Born near Mintaro in May, 1862, she received a short but solid primary education from Miss Harper, who boarded with the family, and taught school in a vacant farm house near by.
Through families moving to the spacious north, however, this school was soon closed. The Sisters of St. Joseph opened a school a little later near Mintaro railway, but Margaret was by then a useful worker. With her father and a younger sister and brother she moved to the Hawker farm, facing all the hardships of pioneers and preparing for the coming of the remainder of the family in 1883.
St. Gabriel’s’, Cradock, was built about this time, and large congregations drove many miles, many fasting, to 11 o’clock Mass. Occasionally Stations of the Cross were given at Lynch’s, Ward’s, and Schinnick’s homesteads. In all these events deceased played an active part, and with a rare good memory could tell many a tale of the flying years.
Let us hope now she has joined again those who have fought the good fight.