Fire at Mintaro

MINTARO, August 29. — Mr. G. Montgomery’s store was burnt to the ground last night. Nothing is known as to how the fire originated. It obtained such a hold and so quickly that absolutely nothing was saved. The fire was first discovered about 9 p.m. The store was not closed, and Mr. Montgomery, was in the parlor at the back when he discovered clouds of smoke coming from the direction of the shop. He had just time to run up stairs and get his little boy out of his cot when the whole place burst into one sheet of flame. The safe was open at the time and the books and cheques were all destroyed. The place was insured, but Mr. Montgomery will be a heavy loser. Much sympathy is felt throughout the district for him and his family. An inquest will be held to-morrow afternoon.